Earth Agents Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Earth Agents Forum

Where we discuss things revalent to the group

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Robotics and Telepresence

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Superman
Admin
Superman

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2006-12-28

Robotics and Telepresence Empty
PostSubject: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2007 3:00 pm

I am placing this here, as a Robot would be considered a technical device. Telepresence definitely would be as well and belongs here too. To prevent misunderstanding down the line definition wise the basics of Telepresence are as follows. When a Camera and microphone at a scene relay information (by what ever method) to a person not at the scene in real time that person is using a passive Telepresence. When that person interacts in that scene by means of a speaker, mechanical manipulator or any other device under their control in real time that is considered active Telepresence. Now that we have the definition laid out here’s why I want to start the discussion and actually build a robot controlled by Telepresence. I am doing this here because I know that I’m far from being the only technically minded soul that might have a decent idea to input on the subject.

1. Using a robot would eliminate many of the dangers that come up for a RLSH.
  2. Using a robot would allow RLSH folks who are too isolated (or for what ever other reason there might be) to be in a group near them could then participate in a group that isn’t near them using a bot and Telepresence.
  3. A bot can be sent into situations where survival isn’t too likely. If it gets destroyed or damaged we just repair it or make another to replace it. Remember what we create we can fix or replace no matter what happens to it.
  4. Use of a bot would also help to create a corporate persona that then can be shared by many part time participants. (Not all who whish to help can always help full time.) This would result in a full time member of a group where none was before.
  5. A civilian version of this bot (as in take off all the bad guy catching gear) would generate enough revenue to finance the RLSH activities of all the folks who work on it.
  6. Such a bot (with the right persona or image) would strike fear into any bad guy who came up against it.
  7. I am working with some good folks on this already and am opening it up to everyone else as well. Now like as not there will be a bunch of folks that will say such a project is impossible that folks can’t work together on or off line and make such a thing. But aren’t those the same kind of folks that say pursuing the life of a RLSH is impossible as well. As for me I say ( SCREW ‘EM!!!!) it can and will be done. *** Superman
Back to top Go down
http://earthagents.official.ws/
Figment

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 11:42 pm

I think the idea is great - if (when?) this were completed, many things would be simplified. I think many people would distrust the idea, though. Some people wouldn't understand the concept of telepresence, and regard the robots as dangerous and capable of "disobeying their masters." Those who understood might still be uncomfortable around a machine capable of engaging real humans in combat (even non-lethal combat). Machines can malfunction, even if they're under human control. Imagine accidentally firing the pepper spray fogger when you were attempting to shake someone's hand (or pick up garbage, or whatever this machine would be capable of). If perfected and given an image that was trustworthy, I think this could be a huge step.

The first of many obstacles, though is the question of "how." Do you have any ideas in the way of technology that would be capable of this? I assume that a video camera and microphone would be integrated, as well as a speaker for your voice to emit from. And a simple build could easily be modeled after a remote control car - although I don't know how you would handle the problem of range. To be in one city controlling your robot in a different city would be a very impressive feat. With wireless signals and such I'm sure the possibility exists (and probably has been acheived with different modern technology), but I wouldn't know how to go about it.
Back to top Go down
Superman
Admin
Superman

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 2:17 pm

The Vision and 2 way sound have already been mapped out. I’d go into detail but I can’t claim credit for finalizing their design. That was done by someone else who I am looking to get signed up here and otherwise recruited into our merry little band. He and I have conversed over the phone and on line for sometime. When we get together we seem to spark ideas off of each other. It’s one of the reasons I am partial to live chats. That sort of action just doesn’t seem to happen in posts on a board. When I get him signed up I will point him to this post, as he will be able to explain it better than me having experimented with the equipment needed. The equipment needed will all be maintained and controlled by a computer built into the robot. While in its development stages a WIFI connection will be all we need and we already have that. Once we get it all put together we will be going to a satellite connection to the Internet. So far the fee we have been quoted for this service amounts to about a 100 bucks US a month. But a 100 bucks split between the 10 or more folks that will be needed to keep the bot up and running 24 7 isn’t worth worrying about. So far the plan is to set up an account for that purpose tied to pay pal to take care of the fees. If a person doesn’t want in enough to spend less than a dollar a month we don’t need or want them. If and when money comes rolling in from civilian models of this bot we can pay that Internet bill out of part of the proceeds. As we are in the design phase at present I invision a 2 or more tiered virtual keyboard By keeping the armaments in a different section from the more friendly ones we should cut down considerable on unplanned accidents like the one you mention. We will also be having training sessions with the bot before we go completely public. I doubt that I’ll have any problems getting folks to show up when they get to control a bot by doing so. It will likely be way easier than getting a good turn out at an on line meeting. LOL. As an added measure whoever has physical possession of the bot will also have a master cut off switch just in case. That way if anyone does manage to gain control of the bot or if one of our bot handlers goes nuts we are still covered. Hope this answers some of the questions. Be sure and make the new guy feel welcome when I get him in here.
Superman
Back to top Go down
Superman
Admin
Superman

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi to all who read this,

Here are some much-needed updates on this subject. Sorry for the delay in posting but stuff happens, as we all know all too well. It seems that the bot project has come under some attack Particularly by an over- privliged Momma’s boy that goes by the name Phoenix. I’ll be up front in the fact that I don’t care for him due to his perennially bad attitude. As I am behind this idea naturally he will be against it in a sort of knee jerk reaction that any sane hero type would studiously avoid. Why else would he go to the bother of maintaining a hate page about me on his and Tothian’s little wannabe board. You will find no such section about him on this board though I have had requests to create one. Mostly from Goldeneye, which our boy Phoenix thinks is a figment of my imagination. Like I would bother with a fake name to tell him I didn’t like him. It’s hardly a secret. The closest he came to valid points were on 2 things. 1. That the bot pictured looked like a harmless science club project. Well DUH!! It was supposed to chump for a bunch of reasons. Like A. it isn’t the finalized design and B. It causes folks " AKA THE BAD GUYS " to underestimate it’s capabilities and not prepare an adequate defense against it. Also C. No matter what it’s made of a superior force will be able to blow it away so building it as cheaply as possible so it can be easily repaired or replaced seems a good idea to me. Especially with the budget or lack there of we will be starting out with. 2. His second objection was that I don’t have the needed education or credentials to create such a device. 1. You have no idea what my educational level is chump so once again you are spouting off with insufficient facts to back it up. You also obviously have no idea what kind of information for self education on this or any other subject for that matter is available on line to the inquiring mind. 2. I am not going to be the only person involved either. Many hands make for light work and unlike you I am not so egotistical that I think I am the only one capable of a decent idea. The bot project is and has been a group effort from day one. It’s just that the more sensitive parts have been concealed from yours and others beady little eyes. In case you didn’t know bad guys have computers too. It wouldn’t do to tell everything in a public venue accessible to all. Being serious about the project sensitive information has been restricted to those who are a part of the project. Now that I have ever so politely vented my spleen "LOL." I’ll get to some of the updates. The mailing address for Robert The Robot on the Sentinel’s site is actually a mail freebie e mail alias " courtesy of CJB net " like the rest of the addresses there. The difference is that this one defaults to an unlisted, by invitation only, concealed yahoo group site. That way all members of the bot project automatically get the information in their respective e-mails. This is an example of how thinking outside the box will let us do things for free that would otherwise be cost prohibitive. This same yahoo site will eventually contain the control panel for the bot. This robot is a type of group identity with it’s own specially designed persona. There has been some justifiable concern about the robot going out of control if it is fully automatic using AI programming. While we will automate some things on it to promote ease of operation I am not about to design or approve any type of weaponry, incapacitating or otherwise, that isn’t under direct trusted human control. There will be no Frankenstein’s monster running amok. There will be a 2 Battery system as part of the design so depleted batteries can be switched out without powering down the bot. Extra Batteries will be maintained in a charging station. We will also be including a " Robert The Robot " page as part of the Sentinel’s site so folks can see what Robert is up to whenever he is in use. This page while showing what he is up to will be scrambled and have none of his control codes as a part of it. We already have some wheel and tracked vehicle designs perfected and set up but I am still hoping for actual legged locomotion. We also have 2 way sound and video so he can be operated from on line by anyone in the bot group. As part of his set up we have a speech synthesizer so he will sound the same no matter who is operating him at any given time. One of the latest suggested additions to him will be a small radio controlled camera equipped mini helicopter to spy out the lay of the land in any possibly dangerous situation. Should save the group as a whole a lot or roof top spying. That’s it for now but as always all helpful suggestions questions and ideas are requested. Remember the only bad one is one that isn’t asked.

Superman
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:34 am

How often are people trying to hack into your stuff?
Back to top Go down
Superman
Admin
Superman

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 6:17 pm

Zetaman wrote:
How often are people trying to hack into your stuff?

Hi Zeta,

Part of it depends on what stuff you are talking about. Near as I can tell the main place they try to get in is on the guest book on my U Lab Tech site. Spammers mostly. They try but they aren’t getting the job done as I have it set so entries have to be approved to show up. I have several layers of protection for chat rooms that I’ll be detailing when I update the Internet security section on this board. As far as the bot project goes I have an unlisted yahoo group site set up for those who will be participating. You have to be approved by me to get into that site. As it is unlisted only those who I send the link to will be able to apply and be approved. When it comes time to give out the programming for controlling the bot on line I will set up a password protected unlisted site somewhere on the web and place it there. Then I will e-mail or otherwise inform all that will need to download it with the location and password of that site. Once I have received confirmation e-mails from who I sent it to that it has been downloaded I will go back in and delete everything there. If this proves too hazardous I will burn the information to a CD-ROM and send it snail mail. BTW. For those who care you may have noticed Robert The Robot listed as a moderator on portions of this board. Some not being bright enough to know I don’t do anything without a reason have tried to use this to ridicule me. The name is there for 2 reasons.

1 To let me and those who I have given the password to go in under that name anonymously using it as a sort of back door. Then whoever is being Robert at that time can take care of business. It always helps to have a backup.

2 Once the bot team and the bot are both up and running it can be used to help create the group persona that will become known as Robert The Robot. This is the reverse of normal group personas where many folks dress up in lookalike costumes and appear in diffrent locations to create the illusion of a single super powered individual. With the addition of extra bot bodies (once you make the 1st one the rest are easy) What will appear to the public at large will be the same bot with the same brain fighting crime and whatever else it’s decided he will do in multiple locations.

Superman
Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:08 pm

Greetings,

How about making the bot unarmed? The robot could just observe. Then the video tape could be turned over to the authorities such as the crimestoppers.

There was a concern about security that someone might hack into the bot. One thing with the predator drones is that tv or vcr's have more enycription then they do so I've read. PGP encription might do the trick.
Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Another thing would a T1 connection be cheaper then a satellite connection? For a several hundred dollars you could get one. You could run alot of servers on one.
Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Another thing, just because one hasn't been to school for something doesn't mean they something about it. True, I think education is of some value but I also think people shouldn't be closed minded.
Back to top Go down
Superman
Admin
Superman

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 5:51 pm

I haven’t priced a T1 Connection being happy with my cable 1 as far as operating from a fixed position goes.

The reason I mention a satellite connection is the mobility of it. The robot will be moving about and the last thing we would want is to lose control because of a spotty connection.

I have recently seen ads for a mobile wi-fi connection that would work nicely. As work on the Robot’s purpose built bodies progresses it may end up being the way to go.

Superman
Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:33 am

Greetings,

How about broadband? I've heard satelite is for people who can't get other internet services that's why I mented it. I know a company you can get a T1 connection for several hundred bucks. So if let me know if you if you decide to go that route.
Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:46 am

Greetings,

You might be interested in this:
http://www.robotpower.com/products/osmc_info.html

sincerely,

steve
Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Greetings,

One ideas I had, is could you make the robot able to seek out free wifi when it needs instructions?

sincerely,

steve
Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Greetings,

Wouldn't it be cheaper to have an Iphone control the robot instead of a satellite connection? I found a link to one on the Super Computer club.
Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 12:01 pm

Greetings,

You know super man if you want to make money off of robotics, you could build a golfball fetching diving robot. People make alot of money collecting golf balls underwater. I'm sure you could sell it for alot of money.

Also, maybe you could have the robot recharge by finding a wifi connection. They are devices that recharge by wireless energy. Although it not alot of energy on it.
Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:48 pm

Greetings,

I've also heard android could be used to control a robot. Would save alot of trouble from making a device from scratch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robotics and Telepresence   Robotics and Telepresence Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Robotics and Telepresence
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Earth Agents Forum :: Technical discussions and devices-
Jump to: