Earth Agents Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Earth Agents Forum

Where we discuss things revalent to the group

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tothian

The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Empty
PostSubject: The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2007 1:51 am

Superman,

You are a brilliant man for coming up with this. Yeah, I know it might have just come naturally to you - but that's how it feels to brilliant people. Just imagine how safer America would be if you were the U.S. Attorney General. Hahaha.

I have been wanting to do this since you first told me about it, but if I was to start it, I wanted to do it right. I wanted to get exactly what I need. So, I don't know why I didn't think of this before, nor why I didn't just try it out until now, but I am going to try it out with Google Earth. It will be good since I can pinpoint a map of the entire world, posting things anywhere, I can zoom it all the way from outer space, and I can zoom right up to the top of my house. This might be a lot easier for me, and for other's, too.

Someone suggested posting info here would be pointless. I say we can do that here to give & receive intel from each other.

So, download Google Earth! Here:

http://earth.google.com/

-Tothian
Back to top Go down
goldeneye
Admin
goldeneye

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: RE: Google Earth   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 3:22 am

I was on vacation etc and have been remiss in my duties to this board. It won’t happen any more. Google Earth is worthless for tracking crime. It does give a decent aerial view though. To do the Oracle project proper justice you need a street map not a topographical one. Or if you are into such things, a spreadsheet to help you detect the patterns. But you can jump start it by hitting libraries and newspaper morgues for information
Back to top Go down
Figment

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 11:26 pm

Well, you can zoom to street level with google map. I think it's a good idea in theory, if someone were fluent enough using that program. There might be an easier way, though (although it may not be appropriate to think in terms of convenience for a cause so large). It sounds to me like someone ought to take up this project with fervor and passion, and spend a lot of time working out all of the details. I don't think the lot of us would be effective - too many cooks and all that. I'd volunteer myself, as the idea strikes me as very smart, but my life is a little too frenzied at the moment. I suggest we find a single individual to at least kick start the project with some real results, though. We can all contribute from that point.
Back to top Go down
goldeneye
Admin
goldeneye

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 2:52 pm

Google earth can take you from street to street but unless you can zoom in (in real time) on folks making a getaway it is useless from a practical purpose for our needs. Tom Tom and any other number of programs out there can give you street directions. Google Earth is more show than go for our needs and next to impossible to privately annotate with our information. A better on line choice would be a second map like the 1 already on the Earth Agents site. It comes with pins and could be easily adapted. Especially, if it can be dropped down to a town by town level. Where folks put their info on the hero map a person could put web links to detailed information on the crime represented by that pin. Perhaps 1 of those WIKI space things Zeta Man is so fond of. As far as the LA crew goes we use an old school map and have made it a point to be extremely familiar with the areas we patrol. As you get out there you’ll find a bunch of back alleys etc, that aren’t on any map especially Google Earth. Don’t be a Magpie like some who used to post here , attracted to shiny objects of no real value to our quest.
Goldeneye
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 4:42 pm

It would be great if they had a guest map of individual cities rather than of countries. Even Frappr gets only so close. It only gets as far as major highways. Goldeneye is right, Google Earth is pretty much a waste of time. You gotta download software, (which helps in getting hidden spyware on your computer). If you want to use the google maps, go ahead. Just print them out and use push pins on them.
I don't know how effective a wikispace would be unless your just archiving information. You can possibly start logging in crimes by street or location and then make easy links to get to those logs with pictures (and provide links for reports and stuff), but with a bit of html knowledge you can do the same for a website. But check out the video tutorial before attempting.
Back to top Go down
Superman
Admin
Superman

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2006-12-28

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Hi Zeta and Goldeneye,
I think the 2 of you are right especially based on my experience with the wiki space you set up Zeta and the hero’s map we have if it can go town by town. It was easy enough for me to add a page to your wiki space Z. The biggest hassle would be an interactive map set at the city level. Maybe some scans of maps from the local chamber(s) of commerce scanned in. It would be easy enough to make a copy of the kind of info pages I used to keep in my notebooks on wiki space pages with the page names corresponding to the tags on the map pins. Remember the tags where we put who we are etc on the heroes map? I’m just not sure if there is a city by city map out there that we could alter at will. . I’ll go poking around on line and see what I can turn up city map wise. Zeta as you are the one with greater experience than me on wiki can a person alter or update a graphic placed there by someone else? It may be best to have each city map under the control of the hero in that city set up by them on line somewhere and link to them and the wiki space pages from this section of this board. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
http://earthagents.official.ws/

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 9:59 pm

Yes and no. If you upload the a graphic over and over again under the same same, it will not overwrite it. I've also had no luck with placing html codes that use banners that are constantly changing. That is why I don't have some of missing kids banners up like I did on the old forum.
Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Back to top Go down
ThePatriot

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 2:49 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?   The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Oracle Project. And a good idea for it?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Earth Agents Forum :: Oracle Project-
Jump to: